We've compiled links to help you learn more about ocean acidification and climate change. Find reports, websites, videos, and interactive tools among the resources below.
Ocean Acidification Science and Education
- SOARCE webinar series
- SOARCE (Sharing Ocean Acidification Resources for Communicators and Educators) is a webinar series that shares education and communication tools to promote an integrated and effective ocean acidification education community.
- Science and information for a climate smart nation.
- Alliance for Climate Education
- Alliance for Climate Education's mission is to educate young people on the science of climate change and empower them to take action.
- NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory Carbon Program
NOAA's website on ocean acidification includes current and past research, news, videos and blogs.
- NOAA’s Data in the Classroom: Understanding Ocean Acidification
- This website features five activities to learn about ocean acidification using real data.
- NOAA’s Coral Reef Conservation Program
- This website features educational resources for the high school classroom.
- NOAA Ocean Acidification Program
- This web site includes areas of focus for research, monitoring and engagement
Ocean Acidification Programs
Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Program FAQs
Reports and Documents
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- These are published materials composed of the full intergovernmental scientific and technical assessment of climate change.
- NOAA Ocean Acidification Education Implementation Plan 2014
A NOAA wide education plan related to ocean acidification.
- National Marine Sanctuaries of the West Coast: Ocean Acidification Action Plan
- A report developed by the five west coast national marine sanctuaries detailing seven strategies to address ocean acidification.
- NOAA Ocean and Great Lakes Ocean Acidificaiton Research Plan 2010
- A NOAA wide education plan related to ocean acidification.
- Seattle Times: Sea Change: The Pacific's Perilous Turn
- Ocean acidification, the lesser-known twin of climate change, threatens to scramble marine life on a scale almost too big to fathom.
- Stanford University: Virtual Urchin Lab
- Explore the effects that an increasingly acidic ocean may have on marine life with a virtual lab on sea urchins.
Ocean Acidification Around the World Story Map
- Use this interactive story map to find out about an emerging economic issue
VideosNOAA: The Other Carbon Dioxide Problem
This groundbreaking NRDC documentary about ocean acidification features Sigourney Weaver.
- Exploring Deep Sea Coral Communities of West Coast National Marine Sanctuaries
- This video explores deep sea coral communities and impacts of ocean acidification.
- NSF: The World Was Our Oyster
- In this short video, researchers study the growth-stunting effects of ocean acidification on Olympia oysters.
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority's Hermie the Hermit Crab and Ocean Acidification
- In this short cartoon animation, find out about how ocean acidification may impact hermit crabs and other species in our ocean.
- Making Waves: Ocean Acidification
- In this video podcast, learn what ocean acidification is, how it's affecting marine life, and how NOAA tools are helping people monitor and adapt to changes in ocean chemistry.
- In Washington State Ocean Acidification is About People
- This video developed by the Ocean Conservancy highlights that in Washington State Ocean Acidification is about how ocean acidification affects people.
- Thank You Ocean Report on Ocean Acidification
- Interview with Dr. Gretchen Hofmann, University of California, Santa Barbara about her research on ocean acidification.
- NOAA Ocean Today Video
- In this video Francisco Chavez highlights ocean acidification research in Peru.
- OCEAN: A Dance Media Educational Project
- Spector Dance brings together art and science in a dance media educational project focused on ocean acidification.
- Ocean Acidification by the Alliance for Climate Education
- Learn about how excess carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels is impacting our ocean
Actions you can take
- International Student Global Carbon Footprint Challenge
- Calculate your personal carbon footprint, and find out what you can do to reduce your impact.
- Carbon Reduction Solutions from CoolCalifornia.org
- Tools for individuals, businesses, local government agencies and schools interested in reducing both their impact on the environment and their energy costs.
- A Student’s Guide to Global Climate Change
- Use this web site to learn the basics, see the impacts, think like a scientist and be part of the solution!
Communicating Climate Change
National Network for Ocean and Climate Change Communication (NNOCCI)
By The Center for Research on Environmental Decisions at Columbia University, this report guides people when sharing the message of climate change.
- Climate Access
- The network for those engaging the public in the transformation to low-carbon, resilient communities.
- Climate Interpreter
- The Aquariums and Climate Coalition’s website that aims to build capacity among informal science educators for communicating climate change to public audiences.
Science Kits and Lessons
Ocean Acidification Curriculum Collecion
Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN)
Scientifically and pedagogically reviewed digital resources for teaching about climate science, climate change, and energy awareness.
- Center for Microbial Oceanography Research and Education (C-MORE) Ocean Acidification Kit
- This two-lesson kit familiarizes students with the causes and consequences of ocean acidification and includes narrated powerpoints and worksheets.
- Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Ocean Acidification Kit
- This is a series of labs and group demonstrations about ocean acidification. The labs come with worksheets and post-lab questions.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute Ocean Acidification Activities
- Ocean acidification activities focusing on marine chemistry.