We've compiled links to help you learn more about ocean acidification and climate change. Find reports, websites, videos, and interactive tools among the resources below.
Best of NOAA: Ocean Acidification Science and Education
- NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory Carbon Program
- NOAA's website on ocean acidification includes current and past research, news, videos and blogs.
- NOAA’s Data in the Classroom: Understanding Ocean Acidification
- This website features five activities to learn about ocean acidification using real data.
- NOAA’s Coral Reef Conservation Program
- This website features educational resources for the high school classroom.
- NOAA: The Other Carbon Dioxide Problem
- This short educational video explains the acidification process from the NOAA Environmental Visualization lab.
- NOAA Ocean Acidification Program
- This web site includes areas of focus for research, monitoring and engagement
Ocean Acidification programs
- The European Project on OCean Acidification
- EPOCA aims to advance our understanding of the biological, ecological, biogeochemical, and societal implications of ocean acidification.
- Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Program FAQs
- This website provides a clearinghouse of ocean acidification news and information to support the scientific research community.
- The Ocean Acidification Network
- This resource highlights the 2012 International Science Symposium on Ocean Acidification and includes research, FAQs and facts.
- Ocean Ark Alliance
- This website includes fast facts, videos, science and news regarding ocean acidification.
- California Current Ocean Acidification Network (C-CAN)
- This website a collaborative effort between the west coast shellfish industry and scientists to explore the role of ocean acidification and other factors in shellfish losses on the Pacific coast.
Reports and Documents
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change – Fourth Assessment Report 2007
- The fourth report by an international body of more than 1,000 scientists; this is considered the authoritative document summarizing climate science and human impacts.
- Union of Concerned Scientists – Findings from the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report
- A summary report that highlights the latest IPCC Assessment.
- National Marine Sanctuaries of the West Coast: Ocean Acidification Action Plan
- A report developed by the five west coast national marine sanctuaries detailing seven strategies to address ocean acidification.
- Ecological impacts of climate change
- A report by the National Academy of Science
- Earth’s Acid Test
- Nature article that highlights recent ocean acidification research.
- World Ocean Observatory
- This multimedia website includes interactive graphs, video, presentations, podcasts and many more resources.
- Stanford University: Virtual Urchin Lab
- Explore the effects that an increasingly acidic ocean may have on marine life with a virtual lab on sea urchins.
- European Project on OCean Acidification blog
- This EPOCA blog aims to centralize information available on ocean acidification and its consequences on marine organisms and ecosystems.
- CLEAN Digital Teaching Resources on Climate and Energy
- NSF-funded digital collection of more than 500 vetted teaching materials for grades 6-16 including activities, visualizations, and videos on climate and energy concepts.
- Documentary: "Acid Test: The Global Challenge of Ocean Acidification"
- This groundbreaking NRDC documentary about ocean acidification features Sigourney Weaver.
- Plymouth Marine Laboratory: Ocean Acidification
- A powerful short film on ocean acidification: Connecting science, industry, policy and public
- NSF: The World Was Our Oyster
- In this short video, researchers study the growth-stunting effects of ocean acidification on Olympia oysters.
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority: what is climate change?
- An engaging and clear explanation of the basic concepts of Climate Change for younger children.
- Making Waves: Ocean Acidification
- In this video podcast, learn what ocean acidification is, how it's affecting marine life, and how NOAA tools are helping people monitor and adapt to changes in ocean chemistry.
- In Washington State Ocean Acidification is About People
- This video developed by the Ocean Conservancy highlights that in Washington State Ocean Acidification is about how ocean acidification affects people.
- Thank You Ocean Report on Ocean Acidification
- Interview with Dr. Gretchen Hofmann, University of California, Santa Barbara about her research on ocean acidification.
- NOAA Ocean Today Video
- In this video Francisco Chavez highlights ocean acidification research in Peru.
- OCEAN: A Dance Media Educational Project
- Spector Dance brings together art and science in a dance media educational project focused on ocean acidification.
Actions you can take
- International Student Global Carbon Footprint Challenge
- Calculate your personal carbon footprint, and find out what you can do to reduce your impact.
- Carbon Reduction Solutions from CoolCalifornia.org
- Tools for individuals, businesses, local government agencies and schools interested in reducing both their impact on the environment and their energy costs.
- A Student’s Guide to Global Climate Change
- Use this web site to learn the basics, see the impacts, think like a scientist and be part of the solution!
Climate change communication
- Report: The Psychology of Climate Change Communication
- By The Center for Research on Environmental Decisions at Columbia University, this report guides people when sharing the message of climate change.
- Climate Access
- The network for those engaging the public in the transformation to low-carbon, resilient communities.
- Climate Interpreter
- The Aquariums and Climate Coalition’s website that aims to build capacity among informal science educators for communicating climate change to public audiences.
Science Kits and Lessons
- Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN)
- Scientifically and pedagogically reviewed digital resources for teaching about climate science, climate change, and energy awareness.
- Center for Microbial Oceanography Research and Education (C-MORE) Ocean Acidification Kit
- This two-lesson kit familiarizes students with the causes and consequences of ocean acidification and includes narrated powerpoints and worksheets.
- Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Ocean Acidification Kit
- This is a series of labs and group demonstrations about ocean acidification. The labs come with worksheets and post-lab questions.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute Ocean Acidification Activities
- Ocean acidification activities focusing on marine chemistry